Thursday, July 12, 2012

Artsy Fartsy, Part 3: The Renwick

Today's trip took me to Washington, D.C., to the Renwick Gallery. It's the section of the Smithsonian that focuses on American Craft, which is where my interests lie. See? It even handily informs you of what it houses.


The lower level was unfortunately closed so that a new exhibit could be installed, but I did get to look around on the second floor and see some fascinating pieces.

The first room I entered was the Salon, and one of the pieces there almost immediately drew my attention. When I saw who the painter was, I was unsurprised that I liked it so much, as one of my very favorite paintings is by the same artist and hangs in the Parthenon in Nashville. This is The Perfume of Roses, by Charles Courtney Curran.


The next piece that grabbed me was the one below, by Wendell Castle. It is entirely made of wood. No, that is not a sheet on top of it. Entirely made of wood. Yes, really.


The Renwick seemed to have a higher ratio of textile and fiber-related art than the Walters or the BMA did, which I was pleased with. None of the pieces really stood out to me, though, other than this one by Michael James.


But quite possibly my favorite piece is the last one I'm going to show you. I saw it in a magazine just a few months ago and wondered how they'd stiffened the dress to stay in that shape so well. Imagine my surprise when I read the article and found that it was made of glass. I had a newfound appreciation for the medium of glass, thanks to Karen LaMonte, and I'm ever so pleased that I got to see it in person.


In my next post, I'll show you the highlights of my time at the National Museum of American History.

No comments:

Post a Comment