Friday, June 29, 2012

Artsy Fartsy, Part 2: The Walters

It's hot in Baltimore. So hot that I decided I wasn't going to venture outside today unless absolutely necessary. This sort of weather is not made for fair-skinned redheads, so I'm sitting in front of the air conditioner, typing up this post about my latest museum adventure.

Yesterday I continued my tour of the local museums with a trip to The Walters. It's larger and possibly more varied than the BMA, and I saw a lot of things I liked or found inspiring, but surprisingly I decided I preferred the BMA overall.


I enjoyed seeing this piece, a late 18th or early 19th century figure carved from bone and depicting a woman spinning thread. There were surprisingly few textiles at either The Walters or the BMA, so anything related to fibers was a pleasure to look at.

Then there was this piece of armor, and I had to laugh because it looked to me as if it were made for an alien.


Another thing that had me giggling was the wall where a Monet piece was displayed.


Can you see the recently repaired spots on the wall? They look as if they're mimicking the sunlight dappling the girl's dress in the painting.


The Walters has a separate building dedicated to Asian art, and this "garden vessel" (I'm not sure if it's a planter or a fountain or what - it looks like it should be a fountain, if you ask me) was probably my favorite piece in that area, even moreso than the teapots, and I love teapots.


And of course, there was all sorts of woodwork with geometric patterns, which I am absolutely crazy about.



Even the wrought iron on the outside of the windows was in a wonderful geometric pattern.


I think I preferred the BMA to the Walters just because a lot of the Walters' collection is Christian art, and there are only so many paintings of Mary and Jesus I can look at before it gets to be really, really boring. If that's your thing, though, you are set. I did enjoy the ancient art and artifacts, though, and seeing an x-ray of a cat mummy was pretty nifty.

Now I'm going to keep trying not to melt. Stay cool, northern hemisphereans!

No comments:

Post a Comment