Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Artsy Fartsy, Part 1: BMA

I'm staying with some friends in Maryland this summer, and since I'm an art student, the free museums in the Baltimore and DC areas are a huge draw. I plan to visit several, and will be posting about each one.

Today I visited The Baltimore Museum of Art. I enjoyed the short walk over there, and spent a few hours on the grounds, checking out the art inside as well as the sculpture garden. I even spent a little while knitting in front of an Alexander Calder piece.

Two of my favorite pieces in the collection are these by Claude Monet, one depicting Waterloo Bridge, the other showing Charing Cross Bridge.


There were a lot of other ones that I enjoyed for various reasons (and surprisingly, some of them were modern American pieces, which I'm not typically fond of) but it's hard to beat a Monet.

When I saw this next piece, I had to stop and do a double-take, because we studied it in my Craft History class last semester.


It's a glass vase by Lalique, called 'Tourbillons.' The popular study method for Craft History classes ensures that some pieces of art I can simply look at and immediately know when, where, or by whom they were made, and I looked at this and instantly thought "1925." I guess my brain's doing something right.

Some of the pieces I found most inspiring, though, were from the Antioch Mosaics. Their use of color and shape was wonderful, and I found myself wanting to incorporate something similar into my knitting or weaving.


I guess it's off to the drawing board with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment